August 26, 2009
LISC MetroEdge, with the support of the MacArthur Foundation, has agreed to cover the full cost of a Retail Scan in the Back of the Yards.
The goals of the Retail Scan include:
- To create an accurate inventory of what retail and commercial categories currently comprise the Back of the Yards Retail District;
- To identify what categories offer the highest opportunity for development and where commercial space is available for investment;
- To identify what categories would fit into a comprehensive quality of life plan for the Back of the Yards community; and
- To identify issues and trends that may be barriers to economic investment in the community and create strategies for addressing these issues, in partnership with a broad alliance of community stakeholders.
We look forward to working closely with business owners, managers, and community residents in the coming months. Please don’t hesitate to call Fabiola Flores at (773) 523-4416 for more information, or to get involved!
August 1, 2009
The Back of the Yards Neighborhood Council works closely with the Chicago Police Department to combat crime in our community. We are proud to be a sponsor of this Tuesday’s “National Night Out”, an annual crime and drug use prevention event designed to:
- Heighten crime and drug use prevention awareness;
- Generate support for, and participation in, local anti-crime programs;
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships;
- Send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back!
We look forward to seeing you this Tuesday, August 4, at Cornell Park – there will be free entertainment, refreshments, food, and information on resources that are available to community residents. Please call Irene Lopez for more information at (773) 523-4416.